f-stop steve


This is my first attempt at a photoblog. I have been doing self-taught photography for most of my life. I hope you like this effort. Please click on the photos for enlargements.
"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine"

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Greyfriars Bobby
























In Edinburgh Scotland is a monument to loyalty. It is the monument/statue of a Skye terrier who, from 1858 until his own death in 1872, lay on the grave of his master, John Grey, every single day for fourteen years, leaving only for food.
It is reported that a daily occurrence of people from all walks of life would stand at the entrance of the Kirkyard (cemetary) waiting for the one o'clock gun and the appearance of Bobby leaving the grave for his midday meal.
There is a quotation on the headstone of the dog, (the only animal allowed to be buried just inside the cemetary gate) - "Let his loyalty and devotion be a lesson to us all".
Visiting this little dog's grave is a humbling experience - as it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home