f-stop steve


This is my first attempt at a photoblog. I have been doing self-taught photography for most of my life. I hope you like this effort. Please click on the photos for enlargements.
"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine"

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Barbara Standley 1926 - 2007





















My Mother died last week. Mom died quietly and peacefully, without pain and she did not die alone. My brother Tim was with her and we were just minutes behind. We had run home for some food and were heading back to the hospital when Tim called to say "It's over." Just like that - it's over.
My wife Carol was my mother's best friend. They had known each other before we got married and remained best friends until Mom died. Carol did more for my mother that I ever did and certainly more than my brothers. I regret that I didn't do more. I didn't neglect Mom - don't get me wrong - but I could have done more.
I called her several times a week to see how she was feeling and the answer was always the same, "I'm in a Nursing Home - I watch TV and I look out the window."
Mom was 80 when she died. She had a better life after she remarried.
My father was a mean drunk that hit his kids and his wife and Mom always defended us. She raised four boys on her own for several years.
Her second husband was a really nice man and they had 20 great years together until he passed away. I was glad for Mom. I thought she deserved a nice life.
At her funeral the Minister spoke to our Grandchildren about the stages of life. He said that Mom had changed to another stage of existence very much like a caterpillar changes to a butterfly. He asked them if they would like to put a butterfly sticker on the casket, which they did. He then asked if anyone else would like to put one on as well and, to my surprise, a number of people did. I will never look at butterflies the same from now on.
The photo I posted is Mom and my grandchildren. It is one of my favourites. We went through dozens of photographs of my mother recently and we could not find a photograph where Mom wasn't smiling. I think that's kind of neat. Mom was always smiling.
Mom loved to hug people. She said that it takes 4 hugs a day to survive, 6 hugs a day to maintain and 8 hugs a day to grow.
So, in honour of my Mom, please hug some people you love today. 8 times please.
Good bye Mom. I love you.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sending you a hug or two okay lets make it eight.
    Memories we share are the Pleasure Palace, Slim Whitman's birthday and of course Willy Nelson! I have the picture to prove it...so what memories that are yours remain, go ahead and share them. Sorry for your loss.
    Take care...

     
  • At 12:41 p.m., Blogger Shalee said…

    Steve,

    I'm so sorry from your loss. This tribute was beautiful and memorable. It's my guess that she probably knew how much you loved and valued her while she was alive.

    And I love your advice to hug and appreciate those who are dearest to us. Please have Sweetie gice you a few hugs from me.

     
  • At 3:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a lovely lovely tribute to your mother Steve. It explains a lot about you. And that Carol loved and cared for her so much makes it even more abundantly clear than it already was why you love her so much.

    "Just like that - it's over." Indeed it is. Ask anyone in a nursing home.

     
  • At 12:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was thinking of you yesterday.
    It's a tough time ~ but I've noticed that for me, the days leading up to Mother's Day are worse than the actual day. When the day finally arrives you take a breath and realize you're okay. Another holiday has passed without her.
    Hugs,
    Amanda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home