f-stop steve


This is my first attempt at a photoblog. I have been doing self-taught photography for most of my life. I hope you like this effort. Please click on the photos for enlargements.
"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine"

Monday, April 03, 2006

The tale of the oily black crabs

















I was standing on the beach in Kona, Hawaii, enjoying the beautiful tropical paradise. I was with the woman I love, and was doing what I enjoy, taking photographs. I had just focused on something when I heard a muffled scream. "Don't move", said Sweetie. "I think they see you." I slowly turned my head and saw nothing but paradise. Curiously, I looked at Sweetie to see what she had seen. She pointed to the breakwater scant inches from my backside - sorry, back AND side. I turned and came eyeball to eyeballs to eyeballs to eyeballs to eyeballs with the oily black crabs. They had silently snuck up behind me and I am convinced,were waiting to jump me.
Concerned only for my Sweetie's life, we departed the scene quickly.
As we were leaving, I noticed another man and his lady friend walking towards the breakwater. She mentioned his name (Howard) as she passed us. He was wearing a pale yellow Hawaiian shirt with a distinct pattern on it. And he had a camera.
We made our way to the sidewalk across the street, I saw him pose her on the rocks and back up to the breakwater. We turned the corner and went into a shop. When we came out (cue creepy music), we heard her calling his name. Again and again. I looked over towards the breakwater and saw, floating in the water, a tattered pale yellow Hawaiian shirt with a distinct pattern on it. As we walked to the safety of our hotel, all we could hear was the anguished calling of the name "Howard".

Actually the ugly little beasts ran away if you approached them, but this made it sound better.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:55 p.m., Blogger Shalee said…

    You are cracking me up!!! I love your version better.

    One time in Florida, my husband and I went for a just-past-dusk stroll on the beach. We walked down a way and then walked back. As we were walking on the sand in the receding tide, all the sudden we saw and felt "snap! Snap! SNAP!" (Repeat for a least 20 seconds.)

    I let out a girl-scream, turned into Jesus and ran across the water. Yes, I left my husband behind, but he don't feel sorry for him; he has longer legs and was soon passing by me. Hmph... what happened to chivalry? The least he could have done is throw me over his shoulder as he ran by me!

    Stupid hermit crabs. At least everyone around us had a good laugh. So did we, once we realized our toes were still intact.

     
  • At 7:25 p.m., Blogger f-stop steve said…

    So much for Mr. Right! It's like the story of the 2 guys out walking ion the woods when they hear a grizzly behind them. One guy starts to run like heck and the other guy stops to put on his runners. The first guy says (over his shoulder), "Are you crazy? Do you think those runners will help you outrun the bear?" The second guy says" I don't need to out run the bear - I only need to out run you!

     
  • At 9:23 p.m., Blogger Shalee said…

    Yeah, that is just like us!

    He took me out for ice cream afterwards. He redeemed his title.

     
  • At 9:41 p.m., Blogger f-stop steve said…

    Ice cream? Under the circumstances, I would have thought that crab cakes would be more appropriate.

     
  • At 4:43 p.m., Blogger Shalee said…

    Only if you like them, which I don't...

    Crab legs, however, would have worked.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home