f-stop steve


This is my first attempt at a photoblog. I have been doing self-taught photography for most of my life. I hope you like this effort. Please click on the photos for enlargements.
"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine"

Friday, March 17, 2006

Spooky Legend
























On December 6, 1917 the largest man-made explosion in history (prior to the advent of the atomic bomb) happened in Halifax when two ships collided and blew up in the harbour. This photo is a window in St. Paul's Anglican Church in downtown Halifax. The legend, around for decades, says that the pastor of the church was killed in the blast and his silhouette was left on the pane of glass as a ghostly reminder. Believe it or don't (changed to avoid copyright infringement). Happy St. Patrick's Day!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cool pic! I can see the outline. Did you have to take that at a certain time of day or is it clearly visible anytime? Or taken from a certain angle? Or does it just show up in pictures? (Cue the dada music!)

     
  • At 2:26 p.m., Blogger f-stop steve said…

    The legend goes that it can't be seen on Sundays and at night. It is visible to the naked eye, but shows up better in photographs. If you don't know where to look, you might never see it either.

     
  • At 2:45 p.m., Blogger Shalee said…

    Too eerie...

    I just read a story (Wedding in December) that weaved the facts of Halifax into it. That was the first I had heard of the huge explosion. From what I understand it took out most of the city.

    And from one Irishman to another:

    'Tis better to buy a small bouquet
    And give to your friend this very day,
    Than a bushel of roses white and red
    To lay on his coffin after he's dead.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home