f-stop steve


This is my first attempt at a photoblog. I have been doing self-taught photography for most of my life. I hope you like this effort. Please click on the photos for enlargements.
"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine"

Friday, March 17, 2006

More on the Halifax explosion



















Apologies for the out of focus shot, but I wanted to show you these items. The foreground item is a rudder shaft blown off one of the ships and the background item is part of the ship's hull. These items are solid steel, showing the force of the blast. Parts of the ships (weighing hundreds of pounds) were found almost 2 miles away in the Northwest Arm.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amazing! Was anyone killed. I'm Canadian & am just learning about this Halifax explosion. Very interesting. Wasn't there a morse code operator who tried to stop the crash?

     
  • At 5:44 p.m., Blogger f-stop steve said…

    In the explosion almost 2,000 people died and 9,000 were seriously injured. The last body was found in August 1918 under the collapsed roof of the Halifax Forum.
    Yes, there was a telegrapher named Vince Coleman who stopped the train around Truro, N.S. and saved about 700 people.
    Check out "halifax explosion" on any search engine. It's truly amazing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home